Skip to [main navigation | secondary navigation | content]


Frequently Asked Questions

Question 1: What is Planning Policy?

Planning Policy is the method by which the development of land and buildings is planned for, managed and controlled.

Planning policies are prepared in order to manage and promote appropriate changes in land use, regeneration, transportation, housing and employment opportunities, and to improve the environment throughout Conwy County Borough (excluding Snowdonia National Park). The policies are then used to provide the context for deciding planning applications.

Question 2: Does the Council have a Local Plan and what is it?

Yes, the Council adopted the Conwy Local Development Plan (LDP) on 24 October 2013.

The LDP sets out the policies and proposals for the use, development and protection of land within Conwy County Borough (excluding Snowdonia National Park). It comprises of a written statement and proposals map. The Council will also prepare Supplementary Planning Guidance documents which will provide more details to the policies and proposals within the LDP.

Question 3: How can I find out what is proposed where I live?

You can view our Interactive Proposals Map to find out all the designations in your area. Simply type your postcode into the top left hand corner or use the drop down box to choose a location.

Question 4: I need some statistical information on housing/employment/population, etc?

Statistic information on housing, employment etc can all be found in the evidence base documents here.

Question 5: Can you tell me the key stages in the production of the local plan?

There are a number of key stages to the production of a Local Development Plan, all key stages are detailed here.

Question 6: Where can I find the list of current policies?

A full list of all the Policies in the Conwy Local Development Plan can be found here.

Question 7: What is affordable housing?

Housing where there are secure mechanisms in place to ensure that it is accessible to those who cannot afford market housing, both on first occupation and for subsequent occupiers. Affordable housing includes:

  • Social rented housing - provided by local authorities and registered social landlords
  • Intermediate housing - prices or rents are above those of social rent but below market housing prices or rents

Question 8: What is a Section 106 agreement?

A Section 106 agreement is a list of planning conditions that must be fulfilled by a company wishing to build a scheme anywhere. For example, a scheme of 10 houses in a town may require a contribution to local roads so that increased traffic flow can be supported, or towards nearby open space or play facilities.

For rural schemes the s106 will include clauses referring to keeping the houses for local people, and keeping them affordable in perpetuity. The Council is considering the use of a model s106 agreement for all schemes to help speed up the planning process and get the much needed affordable housing built.

Question 9: What is meant by local people?

The local connection criteria will be laid out in the Section 106 agreement. A strong local connection is required by virtue of any one or more of the following:

  • Ordinarily resident in the settlement
  • Previously ordinarily resident in the settlement
  • A need to live in the settlement by reason of current employment or a need to move to take up permanent employment

A need to reside in the settlement either to support or to be supported by another member of their family who ordinarily resides in the settlement. 

Related documents - Local Criterion (.pdf)

Question 10: How can we be sure Affordable Housing will go to local people?

Affordable housing managed by Registered Social Landlords will be subject to specific criteria on occupancy which would be specified when people register.

Affordable housing secured through legal planning agreements - known as Section 106 agreements - will require that the dwelling is allocated to local people, thus ensuring that the housing effectively meets its purpose in providing for local need. A cascade mechanism is applied when advertising a relevant property for sale, where occupiers are found within the settlement who meet the eligibility criteria specified within the Section 106 agreement. This is widened to neighbouring settlements and ultimately the County Borough area following defined advertising periods and if no eligible occupiers are found within each stage and the property remains unsold.

Question 11: Who are the Rural / Urban Housing Enablers?

The Urban and Rural Housing Enablers are employed by the Local Planning Authority. Their role is to encourage Town and Community Councils and local communities to help identify housing need, to engage with the process of developing affordable housing in their community and to support and assist the Town and Community Councils and local community throughout the process. A major part of the role is to liaise with all the parties involved in the process.

Related documents

Acrobat/PDF FileQuestion 9: Local connection criteria for affordable housing developments
Document type: Acrobat/PDF File
Document size: 12k


Published: 13/02/2014    Last updated: 26/09/2014

Strategic Planning and Communities, Regulatory Services, PO Box 1, Conwy, LL30 9GN